Called to Serve

January 13, 2010 - January 13, 2012

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

May 25, 2011

Hey Family!

So i gave my talk this Sunday, i think it went well, i got super nervous because we have a huge ward but i was very sincere and humble so i think it worked out alright.

Your emails made me so happy!  It was so awesome to hear about all the nice things that were happening over there because of you guys!

This weekend we baptized Josiane's sister Mariana, it was awesome.  A very busy Sunday.

I would like to share with you guys a part of my talk, i wont be able to type everything  because i doubt i can remember everything i said and i wrote it in Portuguese and so idk if i can translate it correctly back into English =P 

The opportunities we have to serve are very sacred.  We are all children of our Father in Heaven and he trusted us to care for each other.  He is far away and wants his children to be happy.  That's why if we want to serve God, we serve our neighbor (mosiah 2:17).  It is by serving others that we strengthen our testimonies (alma 32:37) and become who we need to become.  As the Lord commands us in 3 nephi 27:27 we should become as He is,  and would there be any other way for us to do that than by following in the footsteps of he who "came to serve and not to be served"?...

...Early in my mission i learned that to serve we do not need ability nor talents but only desire.  Arriving in the mission field i discovered that i did not speak Portuguese.  That made preaching the Gospel very difficult. I talked and talked and talked and the people always looked to my companion and said "what did he say?"  I spent many hours praying that in some way i would be able to reach the people and tell them of happiness i experience because the Restored Gospel.  I couldn't tell them so i decided to show them.  I couldn't speak, but i could smile!  I smiled in all places and at all times, in the stores, on the road, in the houses, on the bus, i was always smiling.  Many times i was not sure what was going on but i sure was smiling.  And something happened, people stopped noticing my lack of Portuguese but the abundance of smile.  They started to ask "why is he always so happy?"  "whats he got that we don't?"  I then could fulfill my purpose as a messenger of the truth. 

I felt so good to hear about your service on to another.  I think i understand a little bit how Heavenly Father feels, I'm far away and can only do so much to help and when i heard about the nice little things you all were doing i could understand a little but more about the importance of our responsibility and opportunity to serve our neighbor.  Thank you all for your wonderful examples to me!
I love you all and hope you all have a great week!

Elder Romm

No comments:

Post a Comment